The front cover design was sent to me in early January. I was delighted with it. I had been asked if I had any ideas about the cover design. Since I didn’t know who the designer would be, I gave a rough description of how I would do it. Because I worked as a designer I said I would make the cover bright yellow, keep the type clean and have a zoologically correct photo of a yellow jacket on the front cover. Tom Davies was the designer. I was blown away by what he designed. I would have given him an A+.
My brother was visiting in mid January. I showed him the cover on my computer. He said “That’s a great looking cover. There’s only one problem; that’s a honey bee, not a yellow jacket.” This was late Friday. I immediately e-mailed Trevor. By Sunday evening, I got an e-mail of the revised cover with a perfect yellow jacket in place of the bee. I hoped Tom Davies didn’t have a hot date that week-end.